Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Emily Merritt, Age 7, and Her Fairy Party!

I don't remember my seventh birthday party. What I do remember about my early birthday parties was it was "my choice". I got to say who came, I got to say what we did, what we ate, and who got to cry. I remember the power bequeathed to me, even for that one day, was intoxicating and irresistible. The lure of it would start about 15 minutes after the current year's party finished. This year, I may have proven that this lust for birthday tyranny is genetically distributed to the next generation. Which leads to today's blog entitled: Emily Merritt, age 7, and her fairy party.

Emily started preparations just after her Auntie Momo, Uncle Bobo and beloved cousins, Jake and Ryann left Beijing in early January. She hand wrote the invitations, order of activities, personalized the wands for "Pin the Wand on the Fairy", made place setting labels, blew up balloons, baked cakes (yes, multiple), helped make bingo balls for "Fairy Bingo", set the menu, and decorated the house in preparation. I had intended to give her $40 and have her go buy and wrap her own birthday present, but I couldn't get myself organized enough to get her the money.

As you will see from the photos, the addictive power of "running the day" has not been lost on Emily. Consequently, she has been getting her fix with each of the 52 days following her birthday. Some many wings, so many wands, so much pink magic, it is hard to capture it in three photos, but here it is. I think you get the feel of the afternoon. Enjoy, and if you need a party planner, especially a fairy party planner, let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.